The fourth edition of Sport: Law and Practice, co-edited by Blackstone Chambers’ Adam Lewis QC with Jonathan Taylor QC, co-head of Bird & Bird’s international Sports Group, has been published.
The book is a
collaboration between Blackstone Chambers’ barristers, sports lawyers at Bird
& Bird and leading sports practitioners from other firms and chambers. It
constitutes the leading text covering the intersection between sport and law.
The latest edition follows the 3rd edition, which was published in 2014. It is a comprehensive statement of applicable law and precedent, as well as a practical guide for sports law practitioners, sports governing bodies, event organisers, clubs, sports agencies and commercial partners, arbitrators, universities and students.
This new edition retains and updates all of the key chapters from previous editions, including the extended sections on challenges to the actions of sports governing bodies and anti-doping regulation and enforcement (with an introduction to the new 2021 World Anti-Doping Code), as well as new chapters covering increasingly important and emerging areas and issues, including data protection and sport, best practice in sports governance, exploiting sports data, and esports.
The book is organised into the following sections:
- Governance of the Sports Sector
- Regulating Sport - Charles Flint QC, Kate Gallafent QC, Tom Mountford
- Anti-Doping Regulation and Enforcement
- Disciplinary and Arbitral Proceedings -Michael Beloff QC, Ian Mill QC, Andrew Hunter QC, Kate Gallafent QC
- Challenges to the Actions of Sports Governing Bodies - Lord Pannick QC, Tom de la Mare QC, Brian Kennelly QC, Nick De Marco QC, James Segan QC, Tom Richards, Emily Neill, Paul Luckhurst, Ravi Mehta, Celia Rooney, Hollie Higgins
- Relationships between Clubs and Players/Managers - Paul Goulding QC, Jane Mulcahy QC, Nick De Marco QC, Diya Sen Gupta QC
- Liability Arising out of Participation in Sport
- Capturing the Commercial Value of Sport
- Tax Issues in the Sports Sector
Please find further information and a purchase link here.
To mark the launch, Sean Cottrell, the CEO of LawInSport, chaired a Q&A session with both Adam Lewis QC and Jonathan Taylor QC (Bird & Bird) on some of the content in the new book, as well as discussing current global issues and trends in sports law. Please find the full video below.